Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Perinatologist Appointment


I can't say how much it meant to me today to hold this picture in my hand. At my initial 20 week ultrasound with my regular OBGYN, we never got to see this. Never got so see his face or profile or anything close to what you would show for a "normal" baby, which was the thing that hurt us the most leaving there. All they could say to me was that it was just such awful news, and so devastating. No smiles or a congratulations. It was as if they didn't think I would want to see him because of his cleft. 

So needless to say I was a little worried about this appointment today

We saw the Perinatologist at Timpanogos Hospital, and I have to say  it was much better, and very calming. They were all so kind and positive. The ultrasound technician who started the appointment off was so kind and explained everything that she was seeing, and kept telling us how perfect everything looked.  She gave me a whole bunch of new pictures of him that we never got to have or see at the OB.  When we saw his profile we were so happy and excited to see his cute little face. I just  looked at him and cried.  I was so thankful for that. It just reassured me again that it was all going to be ok. That I have a perfectly healthy baby getting ready to come to us. 

The purpose of the visit was to see more in depth the severity and kind of Cleft. Unfortunately we are still a little unclear because the little guy was moving so much. Dr Spencer told us that he defiantly has a right unilateral complete cleft lip and palate. What he was unclear with, was if the cleft lip went on to the other side. He said if it did, it was mild but there was a good change that its a bilateral cleft lip. It wasn't the news I was hoping for but were still ok. Before we left,  the Dr. said "Hey, worst case scenario, he ends up looking like Joaquin Phoenix" haha it totally made me laugh! When we first got in there he asked me what we were looking at for the appointment today. I told him we were there checking on a CLP. I prepped him by saying "But were ok, were not freaking out" He just responded by saying "Good, you shouldn't be. This can all be fixed and its going to be ok."  Even though we weren't thrilled about the news, we were still happy and smiling.

 Another day closer to meeting out little boy.




3 comments:

  1. My sister has a cleft lip and palate and I have a lot of pics of her if you want to see her you can she is getting her lip fixed on August 6th my Facebook is Shaylyn Whitman

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I hope it's ok if i post. I found your blog thru a link from a friends Facebook account. We adopted a little girl from China five years ago who had a cleft lip. She had a surgery in Beijing and another one a few years ago at Primary Children's. Her repair is beautiful and she is a beautiful, smart, busy seven year old. Anyway, just wanted to share our story and send our best wishes on your journey to meet your precious baby boy! I have lots of pictures of Sarah on our blog.

    ReplyDelete